Need something to help warm you up this chilly winter? Try this tasty french onion soup recipe!
This recipe makes 4-6 servings and takes 1 hour and 10 minutes to fully complete.
2 1/2 pounds of yellow onions – halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick (8 cups)
1/4 pound unsalted butter
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup medium-dry sherry
1/2 cup brandy or Cognac
1 1/2 cups good dry white wine
4 cups beef stock
4 cups veal stock
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
Freshly grated parmesan
1. In a large stockpot on medium-high heat, saute the onions with the butter and bay leaf for 20 minutes until the onions turn golden brown.
2. Deglaze the pan with sherry and brandy and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
3. Add white wine and simmer for 15 more minutes.
4. Add beef and veal stocks, salt, and pepper.
5. Bring contents to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
6. Remove bay leaf, and taste for salt and pepper.
7. Top off with grated parmesan.