A recipe from Carlsbad Cravings
We think you will really like this special (and easy) one pot cilantro with black beans recipe. This rice is packed with so much flavor, you will want to serve it with everything!
Prep Time: 10 mins. | Cook Time: 20 mins. | Total Time: 30 mins. | Serves: 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1-2 jalapeños, chopped, seeded and deveined (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 ci[s long grain rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth (may sub vegetable broth)
- 1 14.5 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 3 tablespoons mild diced green chilies
- Freshly cracked salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add red onions and jalapenos saute 3-5 minutes or until tender.
Add garlic and cumin and saute 30 more seconds (adding more oil beforehand if necessary). Add rice and saute for a few seconds. Add beans, green chilies and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low (dial should be a little above lowest setting) and simmer, covered, for approximately 20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring at 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in butter to melt (optional) and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
Want to make it even better? You can easily customize this rice by stirring in sour cream, cheese, etc. after cooking and garnishing with avocados, etc. You can also cook with a can of drained tomatoes.