These cute cupcakes are fun to make anytime this season!
Cookies N’ Cream Owl Cupcakes
- 1 C soy or regular milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 1/3 C canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract, or more vanilla extract
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- 1/3 C cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 C chopped Oreo cookies (about 8-10 cookies)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 muffin pans with baking liners
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk and vinegar. Set aside for a few minutes.
- Add sugar, oil, vanilla extract, (and almond extract, if using), to the milk mixture. Beat until foamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add in two batches to wet ingredients, and beat until no large lumps remain. Gently fold in chopped cookies.
- Fill liners 3/4 full with batter. Bake 18-20 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- 5 oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (or use a combination of semisweet and bittersweet chocolate)
- 1-2 tsp corn syrup
- Combine both the chocolate and cream in a medium, microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave the mixture for 1 minute, on medium.
- Stir the mixture and place in microwave for 15 second increments, on medium heat, until it is fully melted.
- Stir in the corn syrup.
- Let it cool and thicken before using. (You can place the bowl in the fridge if needed to speed the process along.)
- If it cools too much, reheat in the microwave at 5 second intervals until it softens.
To make the Owl’s “face”, you will need:
- 30-34 Oreo cookies (or any chocolate cream-filled cookie)
- 30-34 Junior Mints (or any chocolate covered mint)
- 15-17 M&Ms (or any candy-coated chocolates)
- Break apart the two sides of the Oreo, keeping the cream side whole. Put the cream side of the Oreo cookie to the side.
- Make 2 parallel cuts in the cream-free side of the Oreo cookie. Remove the center 1/2 inch strip that remains. (The two remaining halves will become the ears.)
- Place 1 Junior Mint into the bottom portion of the cream-sided cookie. ( 2 of these will become the eyes.)
- Once the cupcakes are cool, use a small spoon or spatula to smooth the chocolate ganache on the cupcakes.
- Place the cream-sided cookies, face side up, in the middle of the cupcakes. (Make sure that the eyes are placed the way you like.)
- To make the ears, place the cut cream-free cookies on the cupcakes above the “eyes”. The textured side should be facing up, and the round edges inward. These should hang over the edge of the cupcakes, so make sure you gently press them into the frosting so they adhere properly.
- Final Step! Press 1 M&M, standing up on its side, in-between and slightly below the cookie “eyes”, so it serves as the owl’s beak.
- Enjoy showing off your creation to your friends!