Fall is quickly approaching, the kids are back in school and you might be looking for a new recipe to spice up the dinner table. Well, we have just the right recipe for you – Skillet-Baked Ziti with Andouille Sausage!
This classic Italian dish adds a little Southern kick that is bound to leave your mouth watering and going back for seconds.
This recipe makes 8 servings and takes about 50 minutes for cook time.
12 oz. uncooked ziti pasta
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. andouille sausage, cut into 1/2″ slices
1/2 small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1/2 small orange or yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1/2 c. chopped sweet onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 (14.5 oz). cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz.) canned tomato sauce
2 tsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3 oz. shredded Parmesan cheese (about 3/4 c.)
4 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese (about 1 c.)
Basil leaves (for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook pasta according to package directions, reducing boiling time to 8 minutes.
2. Cook the sausage, peppers, onion, and garlic in hot oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often until vegetables are soft and sausage has begun to brown slightly (7-8 minutes).
3. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, and add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in the cooked pasta.
4. Remove from heat, and sprinkle with mozzarella and the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven until mixture is bubbly and cheese is golden colored (25-30 minutes). Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.